Sunday, October 12, 2008

Arrrgh! Was it the salt or the fruit?

After VLCD 9
overnight: +0.8
total: -6.8
weight: 148.2

I honestly didn't think I'd have any gains on this protocol. At least apart from my TOM--which is due in about 6 days. I couldn't believe my eyes when I stepped on the scale this morning. I weighed 3 times just to be sure.

My 2 biggest suspects are salt and fruit. I made cabbage soup with chicken yesterday. Cabbage is so bland that it sucks in flavor like a black hole--they're never heard from again. So the soup took a lot of salt. I haven't been eating salt to that extent, so maybe it's water retention. I hope it's water retention. It's quickest to get rid of.

Or it could be the fruit. If you've ever heard of nutritional typing, or metabolic typing, I'm a protein type. (The basic principle is that some people do better on more protein and fat, and others do better on more carbs.) As a protein type, I should take it easy on fruit. And that was my intention all along. Being I'm allowed so little protein, I planned to avoid fruit altogether.

Then whammo! this hunger hits me from the start, and I'm eating everything I'm allowed. Well, not everything. I've generally only had one serving of fruit, not the 2 I could have. I had two days of less hunger, and I ate no fruit on those days. But yesterday I was hungry, so I got my strawberries out of the freezer and made strawberry puree. 1/2 cup strawberries, a little water, stevia to taste--comes out almost like sorbet.

And it was so good, I had to have it again after supper. Two servings of fruit, which I knew was a little too sweet for my system when I'm taking in so little else.

But look at the other culprits I came up with when I reviewed my day:
  • 64 oz water, when I've been drinking more than that
  • I forgot to put my rubber gloves on when I washed out my crockpot, and my dishsoap contains oil
  • no BM for 2 days--I've had one every day previous to this
  • PMS? even though I normally don't gain until the day before, or first day of TOM
However, judging by how thirsty I am this morning, I'm sticking with the more salt/less water equation as my top suspect.

Long post! But I feel better for my detective work, and getting the frustration out of my system. Excuse me while I go guzzle some water, to get the excess water out of my system, too.

2 comments:

BEB said...

It's probably the salt and I'd be pretty certain you're still losing fat. It's just being masked by the water retention.


I brined some chicken which was really tasty but coincided with an almost complete stop in weight loss.

Just keep pressing. I'm a protein type as well and am eating all of my fruit with no ill effects.

You're doing great.

Beaker said...

Good to know that about the fruit. Apples and strawberries are the best fruits for protein types anyway.

I'm still going to avoid them when I can--I have a candida overgrowth as well--but I won't feel bad about eating fruit when I want something sweet.