Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Home again

After Monday's post, I had to fly to get ready to leave. My dad was in the ER with chest pains (nothing new) and they were going to transfer him to a hospital an hour and a half away. That's the closest hospital that does angiograms. He was going by ambulance, and he didn't want my mom to have to make the drive alone, so I went with.

I packed a taco salad the first day for lunch, and I packed almonds and coconut oil for snacks. Other than that I had to rely on the hospital cafeteria for food. For supper that night they had pot roast and vegetables. The pot roast was very salty, and who knows what else they put in it. The vegetables were orange and yellow carrots--nothing else. I'd still been avoiding root vegetables, but this was my only option.

I had 3 eggs and 3 sausage for breakfast yesterday, and lunch was a chicken stir fry. I passed on the rice they served with it. But again, there was some sort of sauce with the meat and I'm sure there was something in it I shouldn't have had. But for being called away from home at the last minute, things didn't turn out too bad. I was home again for supper, where my wonderful husband had steaks thawed.

The worst part was water. I didn't have a water bottle with me, and I had limited access to water. I couldn't sit and sip all day like I do at home. I could grab a small cup here and there. Plus, the meat servings weren't as big as what I'd have at home. I always felt hungry. Almonds can't make up for that.

We did nothing but sit and wait. Things move so slowly in a hospital. The only reason we had to spend the night was that they got my dad in for the angiogram so late. But we were prepared. Then, he should have been released first thing in the morning, but we had to sit and wait for the doctor's final word until 2 in the afternoon.

Bottom line, I'm up to 135.4 this morning. I'm so dehydrated! I'm going to eat clean and drink lots of water today. And exercise! Wow, I missed it those two days.

2 comments:

helderheid said...

Woohoo, still within range! That is terrific. Sounds like you are truly stable. You're in P4, right?

I sure hope your father is okay. Nothing more stressful.

Hooray for wonderful husbands!

Beaker said...

I'm a week into P4.

My dad had bypass surgery a year and a half ago. And he has some diseased vessels going to the heart. So the small vessels try to do the work of large vessels and they can't always keep up. When the heart doesn't get enough blood, it spasms, causing chest pains. Every once in a while the pain gets bad enough that they want to check it out.

Yes, it's stressful, because you just never know. Thanks for your thoughts.