Thursday, February 4, 2010

Misplaced Sympathy: A light-hearted rant

My eating is still good. My mom sent some banana bread home with me, for my husband. It's not even tempting to me.

But why is it when I start a strict diet--when I find out I'm sensitive to almost every food on the planet--everyone feels sorry for my husband? "Oh, poor man. If you can't have carbs, what's he going to do?"

Hmmm let's see. What does he do?

1. He eats cereal with a banana for breakfast.
2. He has a sandwich for lunch. (I've offered to cook for him at lunch, since I'm cooking for myself and he comes home for lunch. He doesn't want it. He wants a sandwich.)
3. When I cook a roast in the crockpot, I put in potatoes for him.

He's not being deprived of carbs. As far as getting sugar out of the house? Under normal circumstances, I miss it far more than he does. He eats it if it's there, but doesn't miss it when it's gone.

Now, this is nothing against my husband. He's very supportive of the way I'm eating now. He's baffled by the sympathy he gets from both his family and mine. At least this time when my mom sent the goodies along with us, I have no desire for them.

My parents and I get along great. This summer with them was wonderful in most ways. Sitting down to every meal with my parents, spending as much time as I wanted with them, and helping out when I was needed, was great. I miss that. They live only 5 miles away, but I don't get there very much in the winter. Holidays and birthdays.

Anyway, just saying that my mom means well when she sends goodies with us. I think they all worry about my husband because he's skinny. Really rail thin. We make an odd couple right now. So they're all afraid I'll make him eat like I eat and he'll get even skinnier. I hardly think that's possible. No matter what he eats, or how much, he stays the same.

Okay, that was all over the place. My point is this: Is it too much to ask for a little sympathy for ME? The girl who can't eat anything but meat and veggies for who knows how long? :o)

(And who hasn't felt this good in 8 months, but we don't need to tell them that. Let's just stick with the sympathy.)

3 comments:

helderheid said...

I had the SAME problem! My husband is also rail thin. UGH. How about some sympathy for ME? Not only do I not get the carbs, but I have to cook two dinners each day - one for me and one for the rest of my family! Gads!

Beaker said...

Exactly! Most of the time I can add something to the meal for my husband, but if he wants something I'm completely not allowed, I cook a meal just for him.

And he can eat anything he wants away from home. He can keep a bag of chocolate on his desk at work if he feels like it.

Kelly Scotti, CHHC, RYT said...

Funny, I just got the same kind of response from some friends yesterday...what is your family doing for food while you are on this diet? Hell, they can make their own :)!

Actually, I have been ok cooking for them, but sometimes the smells get to me-ie sickening not what you would think, so I leave it to hubby now. And he has lost 20lbs in the last month without doing anything, so that frustrates me to no end.

But still, his mom comes over with all sorts of treats for him so he doesn't have to suffer...poor him. I wouldn't want my sons to have that crap anyway. Now that I have been hoarding all the strawberries and apples in the house, thats all my older son wants these days. If I knew thats all I had to do to get him to eat better, I would have done it a long time ago...

sorry for the length...guess I needed my own rant...