Saturday, February 13, 2010

Exercise

I've probably shared a little about my exercise program in the past. I do P.A.C.E., which is a program Dr. Sears developed. It's a modified version of interval training. High intensity interval training is something only the very fit can do. With PACE, you can start in any condition. Even walking then resting is a good start.

I'm talking about this again because so many people say, I used to exercise for an hour or more and didn't lose a bit of fat. You know me (or you're getting to know me) I can't know a healthful tidbit and not share it.

Long duration exercise burns fat. Sounds good, right? Nope.

You don't want your body to burn fat during the exercise, only afterward. When you burn fat during the exercise, you're training your body that fat is a fuel you need. Your body responds by storing more fat to be available for your next workout. So, sure, that hour on the treadmill is burning fat, but you're working against yourself.

PACE works by keeping the total exertion under 20 minutes. After 20 minutes is when the body turns to fat for fuel because it's used up its quick reserves. So I might jog for 3 minutes, then rest, jog slightly faster for 2 minutes, then rest. The total time it takes me is 25-30 minutes. But my actual exertion is only 12 minutes.

It gets my heart pounding, it gets me panting, which leads to a stronger heart and lungs. And after I'm done, it burns fat all day long. It has to in order to replace the energy stores I used during exercise. The theory is that once your body realizes it doesn't need the fat for immediate fuel, it will stop storing it.

My proof so far? I lost 3 pounds in the last 2 weeks--100% fat. (Of course my food choices have quite a bit to do with that, too.)

I've known about PACE for over a year now. Trouble is, I've always had problems sticking to exercise long term. So I haven't seen the long-term results of this program for myself. This time will be different.

2 comments:

Kelly Scotti, CHHC, RYT said...

This sounds great. Im going to look it up. Do you have a link, perchance?

helderheid said...

What HHCTM said!