Monday, December 1, 2008

Holidays aren't good for me

I ate too much on Thanksgiving, surprise, surprise. I didn't intend to get so stuffed. In the middle of my piece of sugar-free, starch-free pumpkin pie, I realized I was way too full. But I finished the slice.

And here's the thing. I'm used to eating bread and potatoes and corn on Thanksgiving. Foods that I get full on, but burn through pretty quickly. Instead I made oopsie roll stuffing, mashed fo-tatoes (cauliflower), green bean casserole with all P3 friendly ingredients, and pumpkin pie made with xylitol and an almond flour crust.

Not only did I get stuffed sooner, but it stuck with me. I took an amount of food that wasn't excessive, spent the meal talking with family, and ended up more full than I have at Thanksgiving for several years. And I paid for it. Here's my numbers:

P3, Day 7 (Thanksgiving morning)
weight: 134.8
overnight change: +0.2 (despite careful eating Wednesday)

P3, Day 8
weight: 137.6
overnight change: +2.8

But my Thanksgiving wasn't over. I worked a long time making all those foods. There were leftovers to eat. Steak day? No way! So...

P3, Day 9
weight: 138
overnight change: +0.4

Kicking myself. Stupid, stupid. There's a reason steak days come the day of the gain. I know the rules. So I did a steak day the day after I should have. Okay results...

P3, Day 10
weight: 136.2
overnight change: -1.8

But still 3.4 pounds above LDW. I couldn't do two steak days in a row--I'd have been way too hungry. But I ate very cleanly. Eggs, meat, vegetables, fruit. Oh, and since I suspect dairy, I made ice cream out of coconut milk. I expected a loss this morning, or at least to stay the same. But here are my latest results.

P3, Day 11
last dose weight: 132.8
current weight: 136.8 (4.0 above)
overnight change: +0.6

I can't win. I don't know what to do. What food do I eliminate next? Eggs? Maybe the trouble was the coconut milk. I truly am going to be back to phase 2 foods soon. Only a wider array of meats and vegetables, and I'll be able to eat my fill of them. True, I hurt myself by not doing an immediate steak day, and it may take longer to come off. But another gain? Come on!

I'm almost ready to give up and chuck the whole thing. But I worked so hard through phase 2. I don't want to gain this weight back. I'll do another steak day soon, but I can't handle another one yet. I need to eat throughout the day. My two steak days haven't been bad, but they would be if they come too close together. I haven't had breakfast yet, but I'm very hungry.

Okay. No eggs today. But for supper I'm making a Thai curry with coconut milk. I've avoided dairy for so many meals, I'm out of non-milk things to make. Other than that, I'll eat only meat, vegetables and fruit. Mostly raw vegetables. I'll see what that does. Oh, and lots of water.

2 comments:

BEB said...

I am right there with you. I was almost 5 lbs. up from LIW. Now I'm at four and finally doing a steak day - I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Hang in there - you worked way to hard to lose control now. I found that clean eating did make for slow losses over the last few days.

J.net said...

You can get back on the wagon! I am still in Phase 2. I know that next step may be difficult.

I am with you and supporting you all the way!

You can DO THIS!