Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Two days on a new exercise routine, and I FEEL it!

I had done my PACE routine for 4 weeks, so it was time to switch it up to keep challenging my body. Plus, I found a more challenging resistance training routine, and I incorporated my 100 push-up challenge into it.

Oh, by the way, for the initial test on Saturday, I could only do 4 push-ups. We were at the same level, Tri Mom. So yesterday I did day 1 at level 1. I thought my pecs would be more sore than they are. What's really sore are my thighs and butt, and my abs. But I'm not so sore that it's uncomfortable to move. I can just feel that I worked hard yesterday.

It feels good! Stiff muscles and all. I love resistance training. I've loved it from the moment I first tried it in high school. Unfortunately, I've never been consistent, or I'd have a killer bod by now.

I also read another 4 chapters of my freebie book. He's starting to get into the meat of things. I'm writing down goals, motivations, and affirmations. All those things are adding positives to my thinking. I have 4 chapters left to read today, and I hope he gets specific about how to get rid of the self-sabotaging beliefs. I'll let you know.

He very briefly covered some tips about nutrition and exercise. He didn't go into detail, which is fine by me. I've got those bases covered. I disagree with two things he said, though. He listed soy as a healthy lean protein source. Now, this book was written in 2005. I can only hope he's read the latest research on soy and has changed his mind. If you didn't know it, soy is far from healthy.

The second thing I disagreed with was in the area of exercise. He said with weight training, we should focus on isolating muscles. Wrong. The best approach for real, usable strength is compound movements, multi-joint movements. Push-ups, pull-ups (I'd love to be able to do pull-ups someday), squats, deadlifts are the types of things we should be doing, as opposed to bicep curls and leg extensions. If our goal is to burn calories and get lean, we want to work as many muscles as we can in one movement. And whole body movements force us to work our core to stabilize.

The author is kind of pushing the Global Health and Fitness website, which he's a member of. I haven't looked into it much, but I think you have to join and pay a monthly fee. However, I also think they have some free resources.

I'll check back in tomorrow.

No comments: