Thursday, March 4, 2010

Book was somewhat disappointing

Yesterday when I was waiting to get to the part where the book would teach me to identify my self-sabotaging beliefs, I had already read as much as the author was going to say. After saying over and over that we've been programed from childhood to believe certain things about ourselves, and that this programming isn't our fault, and that most of these beliefs are unconscious beliefs that we're not even aware of, the sum of identifying those self-sabotaging beliefs was this:

Write down the beliefs you have about yourself that you'd like to change.

Huh? That's it? No deep insights into how to identify the hidden ones? I was looking for the meat of this book, and all I got was a soy burger.

I'm still grateful this fell into my lap. It got me thinking about the area I need to focus on the most, my mind/spirit. And there were some useful tips in the book. He says to make a success journal to record what I eat, my exercise, and weight loss along the way. I already do that, but in addition, he says to make a negativity journal. All the negative things I tell myself every day. Once the negative dialogue of a whole day is there in black and white, it will be a stark wake-up call. And he says it will be easier as time goes on to stop those negative thoughts in their tracks once I'm conscious of them.

But basically, it was one long commercial for Global Health and Fitness. And I was wrong about them having free resources. They have free bonuses for signing up as a member. In addition, he's a weight loss coach, and out of 12 chapters, he devoted one whole chapter to the reasons we all need a weight loss coach for better success. He had a page of helpful resource links, and every one of them was a link to Global Health and Fitness, which you have to be a member to access.

I think a lot of what he says in the book is available in the free articles on his website. But I can't complain. The book was free. It only cost me some time that I think was well-invested anyway. He says we don't have to identify and stop every self-sabotaging belief we have, we simply have to turn the balance of our internal dialogue to the positive.

I should have read the whole book first, instead of opening my mouth to you about it right away. I should have simply told you that I had a real wake-up call to once again look at weight loss holistically, not just the nutrition and exercise parts of it.


Now on to me.

I've been weighing myself daily again for the past three days, and I'm thrilled that my weight has gone down a bit each day. I was afraid my losses would come to a screeching halt once I introduced other foods.

But I'm keeping track of my calories on Fitday. I hate counting calories, but it's important to do that at least for a while so I can get familiar with how much I actually eat, and how much I should be eating. I love the fact that it also keeps track of the balance of macro nutrients--protein, fat, and carbs.

I punched in a two typical days from my meat and veggies only phase. I was scary low on carbs. The day I ate some canned peas I had 20 grams of carbs, or 4% of my diet. Low, but not scary. A more typical day would be a stalk of celery or 1/2 a cucumber with a meal. That's 4 grams of carbs or 1% of my diet. I didn't do that on purpose, I'm just not a big fan of veggies, and I didn't realize how low I was. Had I been recording on Fitday then, I'd have corrected it in a hurry.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that my change in diet so far hasn't hurt my losses. Yeah!

No comments: