Monday, March 8, 2010

Interval training

I was watching some fitness videos on You Tube, trying to find a demonstration of an exercise, when I came across one talking about interval training. I'd forgotten what regular interval training is, and this was a reminder of how different what I'm doing is.

(I'm not trying to sell anyone on doing PACE, I just want you to understand why I'm so enthusiastic about it.)

Say you're on a treadmill. Interval training, or High Intensity Interval Training, consists of running for 20 seconds, then jogging for 40 seconds, taking it back up to a run for 20, and so on. The times vary, but the principal is the same. Run/jog. There are faster and slower exertions, but it's all exertion.

What I'm doing lets me rest completely between exertion periods. I rest until I feel I've caught my breath. I get off my elliptical machine and walk around--even stand still from time to time because I'm not in that good of shape--telling my mind and body to relax until I feel rested. Then I hop back on and and go. But on my second set I'll either turn up the resistance, go at a faster rpm, or both. The second set is harder, but less time. However many sets I do, the last one is where I'm giving it everything I've got. I run as fast as I can for as long as I can (usually not very long).

I just finished my workout. When I do this again Wednesday, I'll try for a slightly faster rpm for each set than I did today. These workouts are supposed to progress each and every time, even if it's only a tiny bit. Of course on days when I don't feel so hot, I ease back and do what feels right that day.

By resting between exertions, I'm teaching my body to recover, and this carries over into recovering from day to day stress, and some people even say recovering from illness. See why I'm so jazzed about it? The basic principle of exertion and rest can be used for any exercise. This summer I'd love to do 50 yard sprints in my backyard.

Okay, tomorrow I'll be onto a different subject. And I'm still feeling that peace. What a difference it makes to focus on a positive attitude and on saying positive things to myself.

2 comments:

Lily said...

I LOVE interval training! You should look into speed roping. I am not a huge fan of long distance running, so I try to find other things to get my heart rate going. There are fitness videos on YouTube with speed rope exercise routines. Most of them are under 15 minutes, so its a good addition to your workout. Also easy to do from home (ropes are fairly cheap). Just a suggestion:)

Beaker said...

Jumping rope is supposed to be an awesome full body workout. A real calorie burner in a short amount of time.

I have to get my joints in better shape before I can do it, though. Simply bouncing on a rebounder a few days had my ankles so sore I could hardly walk for two weeks.