Thursday, January 28, 2010

A new beginning

Oh, the shame in having been so thin, and gaining the weight back so quickly. I got lots of compliments on my weight loss, so I know everyone who knows me noticed. Once all the weight came back, I didn't want to go anywhere or be seen by anyone. Fatigue kept me home for the most part, but I did make it to church almost every Sunday. I did my best to be invisible. I wanted to explain to everyone that my system was messed up because of my thyroid and mold issues. That's why the gains were so rapid. Sure, I overdid it a time or two, but I wasn't binging. Still, 20 of those pounds came on in a single month.

The shame added to my depression. As did the feeling that I'd never be able to do anything about this weight. If you've never experienced debilitating fatigue, I can't describe it. Except to say it felt like having the flu all the time, without the throwing up. Even some family members didn't believe things were as bad as I said. "Oh, everyone is tired. Everyone feels the way you do." Well then. I guess I must just be lazy. That's why it took me three days to clean my bathroom.

I felt worse and worse, and of course the candida went wild in my system. Plus, I was always ravenous because of my thyroid. Finally I decided to do something about this, no matter how hard it was.

I was scared to start exercise, because I normally paid for any extra activity with several days to a week of being virtually an invalid. But on the other hand, I knew that good, heart-pounding exercise gives energy. So I went ahead, starting slowly.

As far as food goes, I cut back to the things I could eat before: meat, eggs, vegetables, and some fruit and dairy. (Ah, the good old days.)

When I eat just anything, my body sort of hunkers down and takes it. I feel miserable in general, but I don't notice specific foods giving me trouble. When I start eating clean, the problem foods create definite symptoms. I can't have any dairy or eggs--intestinal distress, we'll call it. And fruit makes me beyond jittery. So for now, I'm on meat and veggies.

Thyroid was the most recent piece of the puzzle, though I suspected it before. I didn't know what to do about it. I didn't want to be on drugs for the rest of my life, like my mom. I didn't even want to go to the doctor to pay for a blood panel because I don't have insurance, and I know some thyroid tests are unreliable anyway. But I found a wonderful article that linked to a thyroid quiz (I scored 68% positive for low thyroid), and listed natural ways to support the thyroid. Avoid wheat, detoxify with an infrared sauna, and start adding iodine to my diet. I switched to sea salt years ago. No iodine added.

When I started eating good and exercising a few weeks ago, my energy started coming back. But just a week ago I bought some kelp and sprinkled that over my food at every meal. BINGO!! My body heaved a big old sigh of relief. It couldn't have told me any clearer "this is what I've been craving!" Just a few posts down I said how every meal left me wanting something I wasn't getting. Iodine! Friend to thyroids everywhere.

I'm down to very little variety in my diet, but I'm not craving a thing. I can do this, hopefully, for the 2-3 months it will take to clear the food allergies from my system. I'm also getting help with detoxing from a supplement I'm taking, but more on that tomorrow.

No more shame. I'm holding my head up high and smiling--real smiles, not fake. I feel so optimistic again. My body is getting what it needs. I feel GOOD. Now, the fatigue didn't go away overnight, of course. I'm still feeling fatigued, but it's a fatigue I can function within.

Just a side note, prescription medication has it's place. If I don't resolve my thyroid issues by what I'm doing, I will go to the doctor, and I will get a prescription if I have to. Probably the natural option, Armour.

2 comments:

helderheid said...

WELCOME BACK!! I was soooo excited to see your name in my comments! I wondered what had happened.

I am so so sorry you've had such a hard time. Candida is horrific to deal with and lord knows I relate with the thyroid issues. By the way, there is a terrific iodine supplement called Iodoral. Google it. I can get it at my local compounding pharmacy, but you can also order it online. Definite friend to the thyroid!

Yay, you're back!! Hey, are you going to try HCG again?

*hugs*

Beaker said...

Thanks for the hugs--both here and in the comments on your blog.

It feels good to be back!

I explain about HCG in the post I just wrote. I great big maybe, somewhere down the road.